Job Announcement - Digital Library of the Caribbean Project Coordinator,
Florida International University’s Latin American and Caribbean Center and the FIU Libraries’ Latin American and Caribbean Information Center are hiring a full-time Project Coordinator to manage and develop the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC). This position is funded through a four-year U.S. Department of Education Technological and Innovative Cooperation for Foreign Information Access (TICFIA) grant. The successful candidate will partner with the principal investigators, project directors, Executive Committee and Advisory Board of dLOC to perform the tasks necessary to build and promote collaboration among Caribbean and U. S. partners for the development of this international and multi-institutional digital collection. The position will be accountable for supporting the objectives of the TICFIA grant proposal and will take a leadership role in achieving success and ensuring sustainability of the project. Performance expectations include outstanding professionalism in conduct and work product, and commitment to promoting team work and collaboration.
Associate Director of the FIU Latin American and Caribbean Center and the Director of the FIU Libraries’ Latin American and Caribbean Information Center.
- Manage collaborative activities of institutional partners and coordinate communication regarding project activities;
- Oversee administration of all aspects of the TICFIA grant, including meeting management, progress reports, project evaluation, training and outreach.
- Execute project budgets consistent with the requirements of the TICFIA award;
- Manage the project office and ensure the smooth operation of dLOC within the framework of the host institution;
- Develop operational guidelines and policies establishing dLOC as an institutional entity;
- Promote dLOC regionally, nationally and internationally;
- Ensure sustainability of the dLOC project by attracting new partners and additional funding.
- Masters degree in Library Science or significant experience in a library research setting and academic training in an area related to Caribbean Studies, with preparation for high level project management;
- Experience equivalent to two (2) years of proven successful executive level assignments;
- Familiarity with digital library initiatives and an understanding of special library collections;
- Fluency in English and Spanish and/or French;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
The Digital Library of the Caribbean is a multifaceted and collaborative international digital library project that will cross borders and build collaboration among diverse institutions to share resources in a common space, thus expanding the range of Caribbean materials available to scholars, students and citizens. The dLOC will be an umbrella for digital projects and collections from and about the Caribbean that might exist in isolation at a single institution, thus providing a critical mass of resources in a single space. The nine institutional partners in the four-year TICFIA project include: U.S.: Florida International University, University of Central Florida, University of Florida, University of the Virgin Islands; Caribbean: Archives Nationales d’Haiti, Caribbean Community (CARICOM), Fundación Global Desarrollo y Democracia (Dominican Republic), National Library of Jamaica, and Universidad del Oriente (Venezuela).
- Experience with digital library standards and web development;
- Grant writing experience;
- Understanding of curriculum and instructional practices.
The start date for this position is October 1, 2006. It is 3-year full-time position, funded through the end period of the TICFIA grant (September 30, 2009), with potential for continuation dependent on additional funding. Salary minimum $40,000 to maximum $50,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position has Administrative and Professional (A&P) rank at Florida International University and includes a full range of benefits, see http://www.fiu.edu/personnel/.
Applications and accompanying documentation are to be submitted online at: http://www.fiujobs.org/ and search by using position number 60295. Include a letter of interest addressing the position qualifications, along with a résumé and the names, addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references.
The review of applications will begin on May 1, 2006 and will continue until the position is filled. Contact Catherine Marsicek, email@example.com, with questions.
Florida International University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer.